The following rules apply in the Surtsey Nature Reserve:
1. It is prohibited to visit Surtsey without a permit from the Surtsey Research Society, which manages all scientific research conducted on the island. The Environment and Food Agency has authorized the Society to supervise all activity on Surtsey.
2. It is prohibited to disturb anything on Surtsey. In order to build permanent facilities there, a permit from the Environment and Food Agency is required.
3. It is prohibited to transfer living animals, plants, seeds, or plant parts to the island.
4. It is prohibited to leave any form of waste on or near the island.
5. All use of firearms is prohibited within a distance of 2 km from the island.
Information on sanctions for violation of these rules can be found in the Nature Conversation Act (in Icelandic).